My thoughts about Rachel

I have grown to enjoy watching “The Biggest Loser”. Seeing all those people with tears in their eyes, determination on their faces and the stories that brought them there. It makes me want to shout from the roof tops “you can DO it”! I was “team Rachel” and “team David” from the beginning of this season.

I watched all the episodes, I saw the hard work, I wished that was Dolvette screaming at me to push harder. How cool would that be?? What we don’t see is the food side of it. We don’t really get to see what they eat, how they teach them to eat differently. We did see a little of that this season, but I want to see more of that. I want to know how they are equipping these people for the real world.

Because let’s be real here, they were competing for $250,000. Let that sink in. It’s a contest to lose weight to win money and ultimately your life back, but it’s about winning that money. Did Rachel take it too far? Did she lose too much? Not my place to say. I certainly won’t throw rocks as I live in my glass house, where I’m afraid to gain back the 42 pounds I worked so hard to lose. I have gained a little back because frankly me weighing 118 pounds probably wasn’t healthy. (looks of horror as I just put my weight on the world wide web)

png

I do think sending the contestants home for the last few weeks to finish their weight loss can be dangerous. They aren’t monitored anymore, I’m guessing. So, it’s fair game if a contestant wants to lose extra weight to win $250,000!

Rachel is an athlete. I have to believe that at some point that will kick in and she will realize where she needs to be weight wise and do what’s best. Either that or Jillian grabbed her after the show and had a talk with her!

I do not think I have the right to pass judgement on Rachel. She is an adult, albeit young, and has to make choices she can live with. She had demons to fight, demons that helped her gain the weight. All of this negative talk and bad mouthing her isn’t going to help her. Believe it or not I was “too skinny” growing up and got made fun of for it. Who does that?? People will make fun of you for anything, if it makes them feel better about themselves.

We should be praising her for her hard work and dedication and praying (if you will) that she finds a healthy balance in life.

With all that being said, did you workout today?

Blog sig

Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1

Loading Facebook Comments ...

9 comments to My thoughts about Rachel

1. I love Jillian and Bob too! I didn’t watch this season and missed the finale. I have wondered for a while if the show was promoting the idea though that extreme weight loss in a short period of time is reasonable and attainable, setting up those just getting off the couch for disappointment and failure. I think the show does show that it is hard work…look at how much they struggle and how much they work out. But I do wonder if future seasons will highlight more reasonable expectations and nutrition counseling both for the contestants and for the audience as well.

2. fitnessmomwinecountry says:

I have seen so much talk about this season and I did not watch any of it…however I did go to goggle to check out what all the chat was about…Goodness, I was blown away. My first thought is how many young people {girls} watch this show and could easily think this is part of being healthy. Kudos to anyone who works hard at a healthy lifestyle and to maintain a “healthy weight”, but this Rachel story has red flags all over and I sure hope she is not conditioned at this point to take it further or end up with some type of disorder…

• howmyworldruns says:

I too was shocked when I saw her. I’m sure there’s lots of pressure. I’m just hoping her “athlete side” will kick in and she will get healthier. Thanks for your comments Lynda!

3. Eliza Klinger says:

I’m all for hard work and achieving goals. I admire her for being focused and determined. We do that every day when we run and workout. Skinny doesn’t necessarily mean being healthy and a size 0 is not very inspirational. Losing that much weight shows a lack of balance in her life if she felt she had to go to that extreme, but maybe she was doing it because of the game aspect. Gosh if someone told me I had the opportunity to win that kind of money, heck I would probably lose all the weight I could. Hopefully she will take a step back and smell the roses while maintaining a healthy lifestyle!

• howmyworldruns says:

I struggle with the number on the scale and how that defines us. You are right, skinny is not necessarily healthy. I think she will figure that out. There are several contestants that have gained some or a lot of their weight back. That’s where the lifestyle change needs to come in. We don’t see that taught on the show, maybe they are doing it behind the scenes but it would be nice to see it. Thanks Eliza!

4. Anel says:

I watched last season of BL but didn’t get to watch this season. I didn’t watch the finale either, although I wanted to- I forgot about it. So, I first read about this girl online and to be honest, I was really shocked when I saw her! It was hard not to pass judgement, but you are right, we shouldn’t. We don’t know her and in the end they are in it for the money. Whether the contesants truly learn how to lead a healthy, balanced life, we don’t know but it’s nice to see that they have at least lowered their risk for the many diseases associated with too much body fat. Thank you for your insightful post!

5. Sarah says:

Great post-I agree with all of the above. After the “shock” factor wears off, I hope a broader discussion can occur on the true definition of healthy. Underweight can bring its own scary bag of diseases. I just pray that her hard work and determination results in long term health now that the competition is won.

6. LOVE the Biggest Loser AND the trainers HOWEVER…after SEEING the final 3 ESPECIALLY Rachel – OMG she is TOO thin and I cannot help (please let me be wrong) that she did WHATEVER it took to make the scale make her the Biggest Loser. It is PRETTY obvious that perhaps she took the scale too serious and did what it took to make the #’s be what SHE wanted.

PLEASE I BEG of you ….. do NOT NOT NOT let the scale be the indicator of your health. Inches lost, strength gained, confidence at all time high….that is HEALTH NOT the the number of the scale!!!!

I have been on all sides, too heavy (bullying inserted here), too skinny (names applied here); ME = confidence, strength both emotionally and physically – FitNHealthy!!! A well rounded end result!!!

• howmyworldruns says:

Denise, you are so right. It’s so hard not to let that number define you. I want so badly for the show to evolve and for us to see more of the nutrition and life style changes we all need to learn, instead of the big weigh-ins.

Tell me what you think!