January Jumpstart Day 16: Meg’s Miles

We are taking a little time out today to bring to mind runner safety. And not just when we are running but when we are driving.

MegsMiles

This week a runner was killed by a drunk driver while running. I don’t know Meg. I know she was a runner. I am a runner and most of my good friends are runners. I can’t imagine one of us not coming home from a run. I cannot imagine the pain her family must be feeling at this time.

Her name was Meg.

She was the cousin of a Moms Run This Town member in Virginia. She was running in broad daylight and was struck by a car while her three children were at school.

There is a big movement to get people running Saturday to honor Meg’s memory. The Facebook page here has almost 50,000 people running miles for Meg already. I pledged my 19 miles.

If you are running or walking this weekend, please consider dedicating those miles to Meg’s memory. You can even print a race bib if you’d like. This link has the template for it.

Take a picture and use the hash tag #MegsMiles and share it everywhere.

It was such a senseless act and didn’t have to happen. It doesn’t have to be alcohol. It only takes one glance at your cell phone or cup of coffee to have an accident that can change your life and someone else’s forever. I know I am more careful on the road now that I’m running.

There is nothing Meg could have done to change what happened.

Tell the people in your life you love them.

Pledge your miles for Meg. Pray for her family.

Blog sig

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

Loading Facebook Comments ...

7 comments to January Jumpstart Day 16: Meg’s Miles

1. Tammy Jo says:

I’m running for her this weekend! I can’t even begin to imagine that prayers going to her family and loved ones

2. beth davis says:

I will be running 5 miles for Meg on Saturday.. I am grateful that they have all this support, from runners pledging to run, people donating money, and buying t shirts to support the family. I really hope that people pay more attention and act more cautiously during the commutes. You never know what could happen so its always best to stay alert and be more cautious. Not only does your life depend on that, but your families and others around you that you may not even know..

Here is the link for the t shirt if you are interetsing in a shirt

3. Betsy says:

That is heartbreaking. I cannot even begin to imagine what her family is going through. :-(

4. Amanda says:

Such a tragedy. I feel for her family. Thanks for the nice post about Meg.

5. Marilee says:

I’m running 3 miles on Saturday. I can’t imagine not coming home to my family

6. Larissa says:

Not sure how many miles I’ll run, but I WILL do something in remembrance on Saturday. Such senseless losses are really hard to swallow.

7. So glad you shared this. I wish I could run in Meg’s honor (injured). I also read that there was another runner who was killed in Long Island this week after being hit by a driver… many people are also running in his honor as well.

Tell me what you think!