Holiday family traditions

This week SSS Bloggers will be sharing some of our family holiday traditions.

family traditions 2

Halloween is not that big in our house. Not sure why. It was never one I was that excited about. Maybe as a kid, I’ll have to ask my mom. Ally doesn’t even want to trick or treat this year. She’s going to help at my parent’s church carnival.

We do however get a pumpkin and carve it. Since I’m a procrastinator we didn’t get our pumpkin until this weekend. Ally, of course, picked out the saddest, funniest looking one she could find.

pumpkin

carved pumpkin

I love Thanksgiving and the time between then and Christmas. It’s my favorite time of the year. I have a big family and I always loved getting together with them. It’s been an adjustment for John, he’s an only child and from a small family. Mine is big and we are not quiet!

My best friend and I shop every year on Black Friday. I’m not a fan of stores starting on Thanksgiving Day now, it kinda ruins the whole Black Friday thing. It’s our day to shop and hang out, no kids. It’s just a fun time for us to spend together and I love it!

We don’t always eat turkey and dressing. Sometime we do Mexican or Italian cuisine, but the traditional turkey and dressing is my favorite. My Aunt Lana makes the best dressing. I’ve gotten the recipe from her and sort of come close to it, but it’s not the same. Since I have a big family there are usually several Christmas “events” during the month.

There’s usually lots of baking between now and Christmas. One year my mom and my friend and her daughter came over and we baked all day. I think I’d like to try to fit that in again this year. Don’t worry I’ll share some of those recipes too.

I always get our Christmas tree out the Friday after Thanksgiving and get it decorated that weekend. It stays up until December 27 or so. I almost always have it down by New Years Eve.

TRIPLESBLOGGERS You can find Triple S bloggers all over the web!

Sara:

Shelly:

Sarah:

Loading Facebook Comments ...

9 comments to Holiday family traditions

1. Jenne says:

I don’t like the idea of Black Friday and especially it starting on Thanksgiving now. People should be with their families. Pumpkins are fun! Did you bake the seeds?

2. Amanda Coers says:

I haven’t dared to go out on Black Friday – but I’m always impressed with my friends who do. They’re braver than I am ;) One of my favorite holiday traditions for our family is Christmas Eve, we open the stockings, eat Taco Soup, and pop fireworks. It was my grandmother’s tradition – and now it’s ours too.

3. pmoppins says:

Love your pumpkin. On Christmas Day, we too have had Mexican food or finger food buffets. Thanksgiving is always traditional for us though. Have a great holiday season!

4. Lynda@fitnessmomwinecountry says:

Halloween is not a big deal here either. It is all about Thanksgiving for me…I have the parade on every year no matter how many times the kids roll their eyes at me and I am a complete control freak in the kitchen…I do the entire meal for everyone. All of it, I create a new Thanksgiving meal every year and do it as healthy as I possible. :)

5. Tara Newman says:

Same here. I can’t get into Halloween. Thanksgiving to Christmas is my favorite time. And so many of us bloggers have pumpkin carving posts today :-)

6. katcurling says:

That pumpkin is too cute! I love Halloween, but mostly just fall in general. It’s not that we have a ton of traditions, but its just time to start making more soups, baking and more time together as a family that makes it so great. =)

7. I am also not a huge fan of Halloween… I like the candy corn and “Hocus Pocus.” My favorite is the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas… I love the holiday season!!

8. Tempie @ The Texas Peach says:

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is my favorite! I don’t do the whole Black Friday thing, but I do hate that the stores are opening on Thanksgiving. Just my opinion, but I think that the store employees deserve the right to have the entire day with their families.

Tell me what you think!