Want to wow them coming and going? I’m talking about strong arms and a strong back. We introduced some arm strengthening exercises in April, hopefully you are still incorporating those.
Last week we kicked off the July Challenge with back strengthening exercises. You can see Shelly’s post here.
It’s funny I never realized so many of the exercises I’m already doing strengthen several areas, including my back. I never thought about the bridges and side planks as strengthening my back, but they do. Here are 4 exercises to incorporate if you aren’t already.
- Plank/Side Plank
- Bird dog (I haven’t tried this one yet)
A lot of back strengthening seems to be stretching too, hopefully you already have stretching in your weekly routine!
I came across this one to add.
From hands and knees position, extend your L leg behind you. Straighten your knee and hold your leg straight out from your hip. Hold your trunk steady as if there was a cup of coffee balancing on your back. Hold your L leg up as you reach your R arm forward, maintaining a steady trunk. Hold 3-4 seconds and reach as far as you are able with your L leg and your R foot. Lower your arm and leg and then switch to the opposite side. 5-6 reps each side, 3-4 second hold at the top
To increase the challenge for this exercise, touch your elbow to your opposite knee (without letting your leg touch the ground) each time before you stretch your arm and leg out. (source)
*As always, if you have any questions about whether you should try a new exercise please check with your doctor.
It’s Goals Check time!!
- Food: I made it several days this week logging all my food in My Fitness Pal. My goal is to be more consistent with that.
- Abs: Took a break this last week, back on track this week with abs.
- Track workouts: the track was also included in that break to give my legs a rest. I will get at least one track workout in this week, maybe 2.
- Swimming: hoping to get a few swims in this week (starting today)
- Ally and I both race next Sunday. She’s running a 5k, but has a 10k in a few weeks. I need to get her closer to that 10k mark.
Have you made your goals for the week? What are you doing to reach them?
Link up your #GoalsCheck posts with us!
What was your workout today?
Have a great week!
Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1