Today’s post is brought to you by Shelly at Running Pfuhl.
Anyone remember the old SNL Skit in the 90’s Pump You Up? Hanz and Franz? Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon poking fun at Arnold Schwarzenegger, their cousin.In the same vein Mays Challenge is 30 days of squats. We’re going to (clap) Lift.It.Up! And I promise you won’t be a “girly-man” but have “buttocks so firm”Squats are a great exercise to lift your behind. As a runner they help strengthen your lower back, glutes, hips, quads, knees, hamstrings and core. You can make it a total body workout with all the variations of squats, adding dumbbells or a medicine ball or overhead press or bicep curls.
- Squats are mostly known as a leg exercise, but they promote body-wide muscle building by catalyzing an anabolic environment.
- Squats are also one of the best functional exercises out there, promoting mobility and balance and helping you complete real-world activities with ease.
- Squats also help you to burn more fat, as one of the most time-efficient ways to burn more calories continually is by developing more muscle.
- Squats have long been criticized for being destructive to your knees, but research shows that when done properly, squats actually improve knee stability and strengthen connective tissue.
- Squats are one type of exercise that should be a part of virtually everyone’s fitness routine, as they provide whole-body benefits.
Prisoner Squat (variation)
This video is funny and has great variations:
Duck Walks (this is not a sexy exercise!)
This will be a great month!! We toned our arms in April and now we’re focusing on the posterior! Being stronger is the best remedy to running faster and injury free.
We want to hear about your progress!
Tell us about it!! Post on our blogs, on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram use the hashtag #30daysquatchallenge
We’re what I like to call Triple S!
We’re still doing #goalscheck!! Declare your goals for May and post them every Monday! It can be anything from run more miles to declutter your closet!
My May Goals:
Run: More Miles I have to increase so I can be ready for back to back Halfs!! (what was I thinking)
Maintain: Gotta keep the scale (and waistband) in check. I want to get out of May in the same jeans as I started in!
Strength: Get It Done! Either Bootcamp or DVD twice a week.
Squats: Keep the Challenge going with variety! I also break things up 20-25 per hour.
Survive: For the first time in 30 years I’m going tent camping. I love being outdoors… just not like this! This is am important event for my husband, he really wants me to go and I’m going. There are lots of trails and I’m soooo excited to get some trail running done!
Disclaimer: I am not a personal trainer, fitness instructor or medical professional. Consult your trainer or medical professional before beginning any workout program. Work at your own pace and fitness level with good form.
Make sure and grab the Squat challenge and save it to your phone or desktop so you can find it easily! Share it with your friends and let us know you are participating. I got my 45 squats in at the gym this morning, day 1 is done!
If you have a challenge this month to link up, add your link here!
Have a great day!
Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1