Leslie’s Story

It’s Day 22 of #30DayHomies and I’m doing something different. I have a friend from High School that is on an amazing journey to get healthy and I asked her to share it with me. She is doing so great, read her story and show her some support in the comments!

Hello How My World Runs readers, my name is Leslie and I am going to tell you about my journey with getting fit and losing weight.

Seeing 249.5 on the scale, busting out of my size 20’s, being tired and cranky all the time and not wanting to be social was the motivation to make many changes. How did I let myself get this way? Well that is easy. My diet was full of fried, processed, fattening and fast foods. I was also very inactive and having a desk job didn’t help either. Let’s not forget the weekends. My world revolved around having a good time and that almost always included food and drinks, which lead to Waffle House or Jack in the Box after 2 in the morning.

download-4

download-1

So why did I decide to make the lifestyle change? Health reasons were #1. My legs, ankles and feet would swell, we are talking like 9 months pregnant cankles in full effect!  Vanity is a very close 2nd.  I’m not gonna lie I’m 33 and single and I am tired of being the funny fat friend who is usually the 3rd, 5th or 11th wheel. It is all about how you look in life, period. People judge and many people cannot look past the physical to get to know the person on the inside. That is sad but oh so true.

On August 1, 2011 I started walking around my neighborhood. By the end of October I was walking 3 miles a day 5 times a week. By this time I had lost around 20lbs. I hibernated for the winter, well most of it. Luckily I maintained during that time and then I did a little zumba which helped me lose a little more weight but it wasn’t my cup of tea. I started walking again once it warmed up and when the time changed in the spring.

During my down time I would read health and fitness blogs and my favorite Mama Laughlin, it’s about her journey to MILF status. Anyhoo, she ran and then did workout DVDs. I got this crazy idea/desire to switch things up and start a Jillian Michaels DVD… WTC? (What the corn) I wanted to workout to America’s toughest trainer? (I’ve had one experience with tough, it was called boot camp and it was outdoors in the dead of winter. I hated it and quit after 2 maybe 3 classes…ok 2 classes since we’re being honest. Feeling like you were going to throw up was not my idea of healthy or a fun way to get fit.)

So, on June 21, 2012 at 222lbs I started the 30 Day Shred and finished it on July 23, 2012. I lost 6lbs and 11.75” total! That doesn’t sound like a lot but that video transformed my body. I cannot sing her praises enough! I have purchased several of her other videos and I have done the shred again, kickboxing video and Ripped in 30. I just started her 90 day Body Revolution on 01/06/13. Three weeks in and going strong!

download-2

It is not all about exercise though. My fitness guru, Jillian says “You can eat your way through any amount of exercise.” This is so true. Getting my eating in check has been the hardest for me. I love food and I don’t discriminate, I LIKE IT ALL, the good and the bad! I think this is why it took me so long to lose the weight at first. I count calories and I use an app called Myfitnesspal I have logged my food in for the last 330 days consecutively! I tried a week of high protein cleaner eating, which was tough but it reflected on the scale. I plan to keep up with the cleaner eating 3-4 days out of the week. Baby steps, I do allow myself a cheat meal or two a week. It keeps me in line and I work too damn hard to be so restrictive on myself. Plus being super restrictive is a disaster waiting to happen. Just eating lean cuisines or reducing your calories too much may get you going but it won’t keep you there. It is all about moderation not deprivation.

I love working out, getting my sweat on makes me feel accomplished and strong and we all know “exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy and happy people just don’t kill their husbands!” Thanks Elle Woods, it’s true I am happier and nicer and my kids will agree 95% of the time. I treat my workouts like appointments and I don’t want to disappoint or anger my workout buddy so I always make sure to show up. My appointment to workout is Monday through Thursday immediately after work and around 8am on Saturdays and Sundays. I am not a morning person but I do like to get it done and that way. It sets the tone for the day for me to make better choices and I have the rest of the day to do whatever I want.

download-3

I also had to stop making excuses. Excuses are like…well you all know that phrase.  I made so many for so long. I want to continue to see progress so my excuses are at a minimum these days. It is rare that I skip out on a workout, but I know what my triggers are so as soon as I get home I change into my workout clothes because if I park it on the couch or try to take that 5 minute power nap, the excuses start.

So, my goal is to lose 100 lbs total. I am half way there. I just hit 50lbs lost a week ago. I don’t want to be skinny, I just want to be fit with my curves of course. I am not giving myself a specific cut off date. Slow and steady wins this race. Speaking of races, I would like to run a 5K eventually, maybe after I finish Body Revolution in April. I can start training and run one with my buddy Sarah who has inspired & cheered me on virtually since I started so long ago. I must give shout outs (LOL yes, like I’m on the radio…”to everybody that knows me!”) But seriously all my friends on myfitnesspal, each one of you really motivate and inspire me with your workouts, diets and your successes. I hope I can do the same for you. My family and close friends that know the daily struggles I have, thank you for always having something nice to say and for keeping it real when it needed to be. To my workout buddy B, thank you for agreeing to start this crazy journey with me. If you don’t have a workout buddy, get one. I have several friends that are on my fitness train and my daughter Olivia even joined in too and has lost over 25lbs from zumba, shredding and eating as well as a teenage girl can. I am very proud of her and I always want to encourage both of my daughters to take the time for them to stay healthy and not let themselves go like I did.

download

Don’t forget about the giveaways this week and the photo contest! What was your workout today?

Loading Facebook Comments ...

26 comments to Leslie’s Story

1. Debbie says:

Ok, first of all, You look AMAZING!!!!!!! Good for you. And, good for you for motivating your daughter. So impressive & important!
    Is Body Revolution one of Jillian’s? Keep going, you’re an inspiration & sounds like you’re doing it in such a very healthy way!

• Blanca Cisneros says:

Yes Debbie Total Body Revolution is JM 90 day workout program… kind of like the insanity program only this is way easier as it is only 30min workouts. so if you like her other videos you will love this program!

2. Tammy says:

Way to go, Leslie! You’re an inspiration to us all.

3. Leslie A says:

Thank you Debbie and Tammy for your kind comments. Body Revolution is Jillian Michaels too. I can’t cheat on her for fear of her coming through the screen and beating me up! And she actually says that during the first week! :)

4. marie says:

Great job!! Today I listened to 3 chapters in Luke 11,12, and 13,
    did 50 airclimber steps.

5. VAL says:

Les you are a great inspiration for all who have found themselves in your same situation at 249.5lbs or whatever lbs they are “done”. I am proud of all that you have done and worked for and even through trials you have flipped it as motivation to keep going! Your positive outlook and vibe are such a plus. You and your teammates have done such a great job! Here’s to many more lbs., and inches shed! Luv ya Boo Boo!

• Leslie A says:

Thanks for always encouraging me Val & accepting me as-is. I try to take my positivity from you, you’re the same. just gotta keep swimming!

6. Marcela says:

Your story is very inspirational! Way to go! I will print this and use it for motivation!!

7. Becca says:

How AMAZING Leslie!!! I cried when I read your story. Maybe cause you hit close to home TBH. I tried telling myself it was cause I know you and it you’re not just some stranger out there in trying to sell a testimonal. I too, am not happy with the weight I’ve been gaining. I made a goal for myself to lose at least 50 pounds before I go back to Hawaii in May to see the kids. (Erik’s graduating! :) Anyhoo, I haven’t even shedded the excuses like you said… so how in the world am I going to shed even 10 pounds.
    Congrats on staying strong and motivated. You are awesome!

• Leslie A says:

Becca small changes lead to bigger ones. Drink more water, less fast food and just get moving. You can so do this but you’ve gotta make a plan and stick with it!! And even if you don’t hit your goal in that specific time any loss is a gain in self confidence & knowing you can continue.

8. shaydmom says:

So proud of you Les!!! Your story reminded of me of being in that spot nearly 7 yrs ago. When I was turning 30 i was at my all time high of 242 and I was horrified and I refused to turn 30 weighing that much. I mean…I didn’t even weigh that much any of the three times I was pregnant! THAT was devastating to me. So I got my butt in gear and I lost 52 lbs to go renew my vows in hawaii for my 10th annv. BUT what I did wrong was not take it slow. I did that in less than 9 months and I went HARD CORE. So when I came back…i lost my motivation. And over time I gained it all back. Reading your story reminded me how amazing it felt to accomplish that and how much I promised myself then that I would NEVER get back here (yet I did). I knew how much work I’d put into it and I didn’t want to have to do that again…plus, like you said, vanity takes a swift kick to the behind. Now 40 is rolling up in my mirror and I see it just down the road. I am DONE. Don’t give up Leslie!!! I quit right about where your are now because it was time for my trip and because I was so happy to be in normal sizes and shopping at cute stores that I lost sight of my goals…so keep going!!! Watching you do THAT…will REALLY inspire me! Because its the one thing I haven’t been able to do since I had my third kid 13 yrs ago. I’ve never been able to FINISH. And with you out in front of me…I know I can!!! :o )

• Leslie A says:

Shannon our stories are very similar especially since this isn’t my first time at the rodeo. Just before I turned 30 I lost 45lbs in 6 months and then lost all motivation. I don’t want “start over” yet again so that’s why I continue. I get frustrated because it came off so much easier the 1st time but I was a straight cardio whore & now well “AIN’T NOBODY GOT TIME FO THAT!” Lol the scale doesn’t budge as quickly as I’d like but my clothes are fitting better and I’m almost officially in a size 14. I only workout for 30 mins a day it works for me and I know it will take a little bit longer, but I’m ok with that. Do it for you, make yourself, your family and friends proud of you. I think people being proud of me is even better than my physical results. I’m here to help motivate ya anyway I can!!

9. Alisha says:

Amazing story!! Now YOU have inspired me not to stop! Keep it up, fit mama!

10. Margaret Guerrero says:

Les- Omg!!! Girl I am so proud of you! You are amazing. Keep going because you can do this!

11. Nancy Martinez says:

Wow u look amazing and I am so inspired by your story. I too am trying to be healthier and make exercise an everyday thing for the rest of my life . Thank you , ur success will be my motivation.

12. Alisha B says:

That’s an awesome story! It’s really interesting how we all have that number that scares the **** out of us. Mine was 200. I knew if I got past that, there would be no return for me ( of course, that is not true, but its what I thought.). Keep up the great work and keep us wannabe MILF “abreast” of your progress!!!!!

• Leslie A says:

I remember when I was younger telling myself as long you aren’t in plus size, then that happened and then I said as long as i stay under 200 and boy did I exceed that. I just let myself go eventually. I am hoping to report back in April once I finish the BodyRevolution.

• shaydmom says:

Leslie do you like the body revolution better? or the 30 day shred? Just curious.

• Leslie A says:

Shred is definitely for beginners. Body revolution progressively gets harder. Week 3-4 was definitely a step up from week 1-2. It’s start with the shred and then if I could handle/like Jillian’s style consider getting body rev. Also price, shred is 1 DVD $10, revolution has 12 strength DVDs and 3 cardio DVDs and its around $100.

13. Alma says:

Great story and I am so excited to see how she does… Please keep us posted on her progress. I would love to be a true testament to my work out and one day I will be. I am excited for her and for all us who are on this wonderful and exciting journey!!!!

Tell me what you think!